Harvard University honored and recognized Harvard faculty, students, and staff who made significant contributions to green house gas reduction and sustainability efforts at Harvard at the second annual Green Carpet Awards on Thursday, April 12th. To read about the event in the Harvard Gazette click here.
Click on one of the schools below to jump to their winners.
For a list of Team Winners, click here.
To see all nominees, click here.
To see the selection committee, click here.
To see the presenters, click here.
DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD
Lester Brown (MPA '62). Described by the Washington Post as "one of the world's most influential thinkers," Brown founded the Worldwatch Institute and the Earth Policy Institute. He is the recipient of many prizes and awards, including 25 honorary degrees, a MacArthur Foundation "genius award" and most recently he was selected as Foreign Policy's Top Global Thinkers of 2010. Brown addresses political and natural tipping points in his most recent book "World on the Edge."
Special Achievement Award
- Professor Frederick H. AbernathyGordon McKay Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Abbott and James Lawrence Research Professor of Engineering Professor Abernathy advanced the dialogue of sustainability and advocated for university-wide energy saving initiatives long before sustainability was institutionalized across our campus. His approach has always been to evaluate sustainability in terms of measurable impact, often in the form of cost and energy savings, which can then be held up to the community and to reinforce continued behavioral and operational change. Whether in the classroom, working with his students to evaluate electricity consumption in residential halls, or partnering with the administration to identify and implement energy-saving measures in our buildings, operational practices and equipment, he has played a crucial role in advancing sustainability at Harvard. Professor Abernathy's contributions outside of Harvard include Director of the Engineering Division of the National Science Foundation and head of the National Science Foundation’s Energy Research Office.
- Rob GoganManager of Recycling and Waste, Campus ServicesA ubiquitous presence throughout campus, Rob has been the passionate leader of Harvard recycling for over 20 years. Under Rob’s leadership, Harvard has achieved a 55% recycling rate, the highest in the Ivies. This is no small feat considering that when he started, Harvard’s recycling program consisted of one little 20-yard dumpster at 175 North Harvard Street for collecting newspaper. Rob's work extends far beyond recycling to include extensive Reuse and reduce programs. From promoting freecycle events, expanding dorm move-in and move-out reuse programs, and setting up composting systems and electronic waste recycling, Rob has helped us all divert tons and tons of unwanted materials from the waste stream. Rob is a true partner – giving selflessly of himself and working across Harvard to develop and implement recycling and reuse programs. Countless local and global nonprofits have benefited from our reuse program. In Fiscal Year 2011 alone, Harvard’s surplus program donated over 2.5 million dollars worth of products to over 200 charities.
Team Project Winners
- HLS: Resident Assistant Program Goes GreenThe Resident Assistant program made great strides toward integrating sustainability into dorm life by institutionalizing green programs, including CFL swaps, electricity competitions, and acquisition of re-useable dishware.
- University-wide: Greening the Graduate Council Leadership ConferenceThis conference brought together over 500 student leaders from the graduate schools. Both logistics and events highlighted sustainability, e.g. printing and drink-ware waste were reduced, closing plenary by Dr. Bernstein on technology and society in the threat of climate change.
- FAS: Stem Cell and Regenerative BiologyNineteen mini- projects, spanning seven buildings made up this renovation and they all worked towards the aim of increasing efficiency and reducing waste. SCRB is slated to receive LEED platinum, with 93 points verified, the highest number recieved on a Harvard project to date.
- OEB: Green Team EffortsAside from the notable achievement of installing a recycler and solar trash compactor outside the Museum of Comparative Zoology, the Green Team maintains the Green Team website, four Green Boards across OEB buildings, and has integrated sustainable practices into the orientation for new hires.
- HMS: Polystyrene Foam Recycling PilotWith significant cooperation and assistance from the custodial team, HMS initiated a styrofoam cooler recycling program across North Campus (with future plans for South). Labs across the campus consume tens of thousands coolers per year; so far with collection at just one campus, 100 coolers/week are being recycled.
Individual Achievement Awards
Harvard Business School
Harvard Medical School
Harvard Graduate School of Design
Harvard Divinity School
Harvard Graduate School of Education
School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
Faculty of Arts & Sciences
Harvard Kennedy School
Harvard Law School
Harvard School of Public Health
Green Carpet Award Selection Committee
- Mary Ann BradleyAssociate Dean Administrative Operations, FAS
- Nina CollinsAssociate Dean and Senior Advisor to Dean of FAS
- Neal DoyleHarvard Innovation Lab, HSBS/span>
- Jonas Clark Resident Dean of Freshmen, Harvard College
- Clementine Contat Harvard Business School '13
- Andreas Georgoulias Lecturer in Architecture, GSD
- Heather Henriksen Director, Office for Sustainability
- Lisa Hogarty Vice President for Campus Services
- Andy O'Brien Chief of Operations, HBS
- Steven Nason Director, Harvard University Housing
- Ron Peracchio Director, Business and the Environment Initiative, HBS
- Jack Spengler Akira Yamaguchi Professor of Environmental Health and Human Habitation, HSPH
- Laura Snowdon Assistant Dean for Student Services, Dean of Students, GSD
- Dan Shore Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Robyn Tsukayama Assistant Director, Office for Sustainability
- Katy Yang Harvard Law School '12
Green Carpet Award Presenters
- David AgerLecturer on Sociology; Director of Undergraduate Studies, FAS
- John BriscoeGordon McKay Professor of the Practice of Environmental Engineering and Environmental Health, FAS
- Evelyn ChowHarvard College '12
- Angela CrispiAssociate Dean for Administraiton and Senior Executive Officer, HBS
- Pete DavisHarvard College '12
- Tina GrotzerAssociate Professor of Education and Principal Investigator at Harvard Project Zero
- Marilyn HausammannVice President for Human Resources
- Heather HenriksenDirector of the Office for Sustainability
- Lee HodderHarvard Business School '12
- Lisa HogartyVice President of Campus Services
- Sheila JasanoffProfzheimer Professor of Science and Technology Studies
- Leslie KirwanDean of Administration and Finance for FAS
- Katie LappExecutive Vice President, Harvard University
- Jim McCarthyAlexander Agassiz Professor of Biological Oceanography
- Jack SpenglerAkira Yamaguchi Professor of Environmental Health and Human Habitation, HSPH
|Name||Jeannette Everritt||Kathryn Link||Todd Rudnianyn|
|Dinali Abeysekera||Lee Fenn||Julie Loneran||Jorge Ruiz|
|Marc Alvarado||David Fenning||Rob Mac Dougall||Berley Sabbag-McKenna|
|Joao Amado||Kristine Fraser||Leslie Macpherson Artinian||Dev Saha|
|Walfred Arenales||Marilyn Gambardella||Maura Madden||Kimberly Salley|
|Augusto Arevalo||Jerami Garcia||Ahmed Makani||Parijat Samant|
|Kathleen Attfield||Katie Giddings||Flory Makuwa||Bill Santoro|
|Carrie Ayers||Sarah Jane Gilbert||Joshua Margolis||Sandy Selesky|
|Annie Baldwin||Elliot Glassman||Jonathan Mascia||David Seley|
|Joanna Barrett||Rob Gogan||Tony Lingner||Peggy Sellmer|
|Jen Bellows||Alec Goodman||Bill McCallum||Mary Smith|
|Marva Bernard-Saunders||Gary Goodwin||Maureen McCarthy||Jessica Sobel|
|Sarah Bishop||Audrey Harmon||Cathleen McCormick||Sarah St. Germain|
|Austin Blackmon||Basma Hashmi||Katie McDonnell||Danny Beaudoin|
|Kevin Cahill||David Hastings||Stuart McNeil||Justin Stratman|
|Evelyn Chow||David Havelick||Jalil Mendoza||Annie Studdard|
|Jonas Clark||David Helen||Andrew Miller||KJ Thomas|
|Jennifer Clarke Piazza||Alison Hillegeist||Anne Miller||John Thorlin|
|Joel Cohen||Lee Hodder||Smriti Mishra||Laura Tomaino|
|Denis Collet||John Hollister||May Moreshet||Lisa Valela|
|Jane Collins||Helen Hubbard-Davis||Shanon Morrow||Karin Vander Schaaf|
|Michael Colliver||Radhika Jain||Leigh Needleman||Carlos Vielmann|
|Mary Corrigan||Christina James||Dick Nerden||Fernando Viesca|
|John Courville||Sharon Johnson||Chiu-Oan Ngooi||Genoa Wall|
|Dorea D'Agostino||Rachel Jonhson||Gregory Norris||Dan Weissman|
|Samantha de Oliveira||Caitlin Key||Amanda Nourse||Katie Whipkey|
|Krista deBoer||Reema Khan||Trevor O'Brien||Patricia White|
|Vinay Devadanam||Janine Knudsen||Rebeckah Orton||Elizabeth Whitley|
|Amrit Dhir||Alex Krolewski||Sachi Oshima||Laura Wolf|
|Illac Angelo Diaz||Karen Kuhlthau||Jisung Park||Judy Wong|
|Julie DiMilla||Maurice Kuykendoll||Clare Putnam||Kristen Wraith|
|Jennifer Doleva||Roy Lauridsen||Kathy Randel||Katy Yang|
|Barbara Drauschke||Hannah Lee||Sandra Ray||Max Zacher|
|Michael Drumm||Seth Ligo||Claire Reardon||Andy Zelleke|
|Grace Egbert||Thomas Lingner||Tristan Rocher||Kate Zirpolo Flynn|
Team Project Nominees
Greenhouse Gas/Energy Reduction Infrastructure and Green Building Project
- SEAS: Vlassak Lab
- FAS: Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology
- CADM: LEED EBOM Platinum, 46 Blackstone St.
- HSPH: Kresge LED Retrofit
Greenhouse Gas/Energy Reduction Behavior Change and Administrative Practices Project Finalists
- HSPH: HR Admin, Employment Team
- HLS: Greening Practices at the WCC
- HLS: Resident Assistant Program Goes Green
- HBS: FIELD Course
- FAS: Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology
Green Team Project Finalists
- HSPH: Mission Grammar Recycling
- SEAS: Hosting Community Events
- OEB: Green Team Effort
- FAS: Green Team Engagement, Gen Ed.
- CADM: Green Office Welcome Video, AA&D
Student Project Finalists
- FAS: Greenifying Stein Club
- GSD: Beehive Gund Hall
- Greening Leadership Conference
- HLS: TEDx Harvard Law
Waste/Water Reduction Project
- FAS: SCRB, More Sustainable Research
- FAS: 1414 Mass Ave Recycling Competition
- HLS: School-wide Composting
- HMS: Polystyrene Foam Recycling
- CADM: Reducing Waste from Faculty Club