Download the Leaf Two PowerPoint, and get your office started on action items.
Download the Leaf Two Checklist, complete with cover letter and signature page. NOTE: The checklist document is in process. To download resources mentioned in the checklist, use the links below.
Download the Green Office tracking spreadsheet to help measure your workplace's progress toward the next leaf.
- In our desk lamps we use CFLs (Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs). To dispose of CFLs we enclose them in a plastic bag and deliver them to our nearest e-waste collection site, which can be located by contacting Facilities/Operations. [CFL Fact Sheet and New Bulb Labels]
- When occupancy sensors exist in our offices without manual switches, we know to contact Facilities/Operations if we’d like the sensors to turn our lights off after shorter time periods.
- We examined our office’s use of networked printers and other electronic devices, and contacted IT about consolidating use where it makes sense.
- If we have control over thermostat settings in our office, someone has contacted Facilities/Operations to check that we are setting temperatures and fan speeds at appropriate levels during both the heating and cooling season (i.e. we are not overheating or over-cooling our office). We use Facilities/Operations-recommended settings for energy efficiency or Office for Sustainability (OFS) suggested guidelines in their absence. [Suggested Guidelines]
- During cold weather, all of our windows (including storm windows) are shut tightly, if applicable.
- Each work area (cube or office) has a desk-side paper recycling bin. [Suggested Bins]
- We have a designated area in our supply closet, or elsewhere in our office, for sharing office supplies that can be re-used (file folders, binders, pens, paper clips, etc).
- There is at least one reusable bag in the kitchen or break room for our staff to use in place of plastic bags when shopping or buying lunch, supplies, etc.
- We contacted news media and catalog distributors to receive fewer publications at our office. [Reducing Publications Fact Sheet] [Reducing Junk Mail Fact Sheet].
- For all printing completed outside of our office, we ask our external printing contractor to use paper with at least 30 percent recycled content. [Green Print Vendor List]
- For all printing completed outside of our office, we ask whether Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified paper is available for use. [Green Print Vendor List]
EVENTS AND MEETINGS
- At our events and meetings we use reusable cups, dishware, and utensils whenever possible. For occasions when this is not possible, we use recycled paper products instead of plastic materials. [Recycled Dining Products Fact Sheet]
- For our events and meetings we avoid purchasing cardboard and plastic boxed meals.
- Members of our office are aware of Harvard’s Commuter Choice Program or Longwood’s CommuteWorks program and their resources regarding public transportation, ridesharing, bicycling, and transit news. Information about the applicable program (including bike maps, Zipcar info, etc.) is displayed permanently on one of our information boards, or we have a kiosk in the lobby of our building. [Commuter Choice Fact Sheet] [CommuteWorks Fact Sheet]
- In order to reduce truck traffic and vehicle emissions in our community, whenever possible we use the Harvard-preferred vendors for the following services that involve delivery: office supplies (Office Max), mail delivery (FedEx), and data destruction (DataShredder). The Harvard Procurement Management Department negotiates lower prices with vendors and may be contacted for more information about specific products and opportunities. A full list of preferred vendors is available on the Procurement website.
KITCHENS AND BREAK ROOMS
- In our kitchen, we use environmentally preferable dishwashing soap. [Green Kitchens Fact Sheet]
- We have solicited feedback from office members about green building features we have or could have in our office, such as lighting retrofits, occupancy sensors, dual-flush toilet retrofits, aerators on sinks, green cleaning contracts, etc. A member of our office has shared this feedback with someone in Facilities/Operations.
- We have a designated section of an office bulletin board, or have a separate board for posting tips and information about green practices, events, and groups.